GWR Engineers at Donisthrope

This photograph is one of many in an album belonging to E P Wooldridge, the young man in a cap standing by the pillar on the left of the picture.

The engineers are posed in the porch of Donisthorpe, a large house in Cow Square which was leased from the estate of the Earl fo Ilchester during the construction of the railway in 1903-1906.

 

In the centre is the Chief Engineer, P A Anthony. Edward Percy Wooldridge stands beside him, and Bernard Sharples is seated beside the right hand pillar. the name sof the two men at the back of the group are unknown.

E P Wooldridge married a Miss Isherwood whose family lived a few doors away in North Street. Bernard Sharples married a young lady in Castle Cary. He had lodged with her family when the GWR Headquarters was there in the early part of the construction period.