United Reformed Church

The United Reformed Church in West Street was once a Congregational church in a building on this site called Serjeant's Barn in 1716. The present church was built in 1803 and extended several times in the 19th century. It has a lecture hall on the west side. Tel: 01458 252799.

This old photograph, donated by Mrs Esther Locke from her late husband's collection, shows West Street before the staircase tower of the Congregational church was built in the 1890s. It shows the west wall of the adjoining house and several gravestones in the tiny yard in front of the church. Several men have come out of the Brewery arch to see what is going on and the usual group of interested children have got into the picture.