Chicks

The original infants school is on the corner of Langport Road and West End. It was known as 'Chick's' because the headmistress was for many years Mrs Munro-Chick. It was started in about 1870, when the Pinney family built a school for infants there, probably a barn-conversion. By 1965 it was considered too small and old-fashioned, so a new infants school was built on the site in Etsome Terrace. Features of the school have been retained by the present owners of the building, which is a private house.