Grammar School

The Free Grammar School in Broad Street was founded by a group of Somerton business men in 1672 and was originally housed in a building in the churchyard. It was moved to Broad Street in the 18th century next door to an inn, The Three Cups, which stood on the site of the present Westminster Bank. The inn was part of the endowment and provided money to pay the schoolmaster and free education for 12 poor scholars.

The Free Grammar School in 1830. It was in the entrance to the churchyard and was removed when the Parish Rooms were built in 1902. 

It was never a large school and it was badly administered in the Victorian period, when enquiries were made about the non-attendance of most of the scholars and about financial irregularities.

The boys of the Free grammar School in 1907, taken in the play yard at the rear of the buildingin Broad Street.

When compulsory education came in, the school became the boys' school for the town and remained so until 1965 when the junior boys were transferred to Monteclefe and all over-11 children went to Huish Episcopi Comprehensive.

The building was retained by the Somerset County Council Education Service and is used as a youth club.