1920s Council Minutes

    

Somerton Parish Council Minutes 1921-1930

 

The Council continued to look after street lighting, footpaths and the Fire Brigade. Cars were becoming more common and parking charges were introduced in the Market Place, which was acquired from the Earl of Ilchester. Markets were still held there, as well as an agricultural show and British Legion events.  White lines and Danger signs were needed at road junctions.

 

The War Memorial was dedicated in May 1921 and the Market Cross was restored.

 

Cow & Gate Ltd opened a milk products factory in Etsome Terrace.  Council houses were provided at Etsome Terrace, Bancombe Road and St Cleers.

 

In 1930 the street lights were converted to electricity.